About Me

My photo
Gilmer, Texas, United States
I'm just this guy, you know? I am not a number, I am a free man. I'm one of a kind, but not the last of my kind. You can hold me, thrill me, kiss me or kill me, but only once.

Child Bashing


Monday, February 21, 2011
5:21 AM

When did it become fashionable to viciously bash a 16 year-old-child?

There are entirely too many people spending significant amounts of time ripping Justin Bieber a new asshole. A goodly number of them are well outside the intended demographic for his music, which I guess shouldn't be surprising. Haters gonna hate, regardless of age, creed, or color.

I listened to a couple of his singles on YouTube tonight. You know, just to see. The chorus of Baby is sort of catchy, and Bieber can sing, but he's not really my thing, so I closed down YouTube and went back to listening to Rod Stewart and Bill Conti.

If you dislike his music, surely it's easier to listen to something you do enjoy and forget about him? What does a person actually gain from verbally abusing a child on the Internet?

Shame on you, Internet. Shame on you.
 

4 comments:

  1. Eh, the (pseudo)-anonymity of the internet gives people a mask to hide behind, and many use this as an excuse to act like asses. The fact that Bieber is popular makes him a visible target. In short, haters gonna really hate, if they don't get caught. It is a shame.

    Personally, I think Bieber is a teen music idol, not unlike many before him. I've heard a few excerpts of his music and am not horribly interested. I'm going back to my current flavors, Dio and Doro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Bieber is definitely flavor of the moment material -- same as all the teen idol heart throbs before him -- but I do think he has the talent to be more than that. With good management and encouragement, he could mature into the type of guy who sticks around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason for the bashing is over exposure. Blame the media and his PR machine. People are getting sick of hearing about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm a lot more out of the pop culture loop than I'd like to think, but I didn't even know who Justin Bieber was until I saw him on Conan last week. If he's been overexposed, it managed to soar right over my head.

    Even so, I don't think overexposure is a reasonable exploration for full grown adults actively trolling YouTube music videos and wishing death on a 16-year-old.

    The lack of proportion shown by these "mature adults" is fascinating. And just slightly sad.

    ReplyDelete